If you are looking for a fun way to cook with ground turkey, then you have to try my Shakshuka with Ground Turkey recipe!
Cooking with Ground Turkey
For many years I was totally all about ground beef. In order for me to change my lifestyle around and nourish myself with healthier foods, I knew I had to start straying away from high fat ground beef.
A great tip is that you can switch out ground beef for ground turkey. This may seem scary at first because you might be wondering is ground turkey even good?! The answer is yes! But the trick is, you gotta make sure you are seasoning it! I’m not talking just salt, you will want to add herbs and spices in it and be generous with them. Also it is important to keep the moisture in it.
What is Shakshuka?
Shakshuka is a traditional breakfast dish in North Africa and also in the Middle East. Originally it is eggs that are poached in a tomato sauce and seasoned with amazing spices. I have come to find out, when you add another protein to this simple and already delicious dish, it makes it even more divine.
Be sure to try my other non-traditional version, Shakshuka with Argentinian Prawns !
More tips for Shakshuka with Ground Turkey
This dish is perfect if it is served right away after preparing. However you can totally enjoy leftovers by properly storing it and reheating in the microwave. The eggs stay intact and the flavors come more alive overnight.
If you would like to try this recipe but with another protein, you totally can! Ground chicken, ground beef or chorizo would be great swaps.
Side dishes that can be served with Shakshuka
If you are serving Shakshuka as a main dish, a really great side dish is bread. Here I made Socca bread, but even a soft brioche is good or pita. Warm bread for dipping is an awesome way to experience the sauce. If you are looking to keep this low carb, you can serve with bacon slices or a salad.
Sign up for my newsletter today and receive recipes straight to your inbox! Looking for more Ground Turkey recipes? Check out my Roasted Butternut Squash and Turkey Tacos and also my Turkey Basil Burger .
Let’s Get Cooking!
Shakshuka with Ground Turkey
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 6 large eggs
- 28 ounces peeled whole tomatoes such as san marzano brand
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1 large white onion medium dice/chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper medium dice/chopped
- 10 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon aleppo pepper or sub cayenne
- 1 teaspoon paella spice blend or sub 1/2 paprika / 1/2 smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley topping/garnish
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil.
- When the pan is ready, add the onion, bell pepper and the garlic. Let it cook for 10 minutes, until the juices start to sweat from the veggies.
- Then add the ground turkey and the spices along with the salt and pepper. Cook until turkey is brown and no longer see pink- about 12-15 minutes.
- Add the whole peeled tomatoes to the pan, meanwhile crushing the tomatoes with the back of a wooden spoon or spatula.
- Let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Carefully add the eggs, one by one. (You can crack them and add them directly to the pan or you can crack them in a small bowl then add them individually.)
- Let it simmer for 25 minutes.
- The eggs will be done when the egg white is solid and the yolk is formed and shiny.
- Serve with your favorite bread, roasted potatoes or eat as is!