My Pumpkin Pecan Coffee Cake will make you say “Move over Starbucks, there is a new coffee cake recipe in town!” With pecan crumb spiced topping layered in, this will give you pumpkin pie nostalgia!
I love pumpkin so much that I’m guilty of eating it pretty much from September through November! (and sometimes in the Spring! LOL)
Amazon Affiliate Link Disclosure : This post contains links to products I love on Amazon. If you click through the links provided, we may receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
What Makes a Coffee Cake a Coffee Cake
Coffee cake has that crumb topping that consists of butter, cinnamon and flour and also streusel filling. Though coffee cake often has a glaze or icing, they are not frosted like traditional cakes.
Pumpkin Coffee Cake with Yellow Cake Mix
This may be one of the easiest pumpkin coffee cake recipes you will ever make! The recipe is inspired by “Sylvia’s Coffee Cake” which was published in a Seattle Church’s cookbook called Recipes to Remember. Her recipe is simply a coffee cake and I put my twist on it by adding pumpkin puree, additional spices and incorporating brown sugar into a pecan streusel.
The final result reminds me of a pumpkin pecan pudding cake. And yup, you can add whipped cream on your slice! (Starbucks doesn’t do that for you! 😜)
Ingredients Needed for my Pumpkin Pecan Coffee Cake Recipe
You will need a box of yellow cake mix, a small box of instant vanilla pudding and a can of pumpkin puree. You won’t have to worry about adding additional dry ingredients like baking soda, baking powder, or flour. To give the pumpkin spice, you will need a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom and allspice for the pecan mixture.
I use Trader Joe’s yellow cake mix however any yellow cake will work.
Three Reasons Why This Is The Best Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- It’s moist! With this recipe and other recipes I’ve made with pudding mix, the instant pudding is a game changer for the texture and maintaining moisture.
- This is simple to make with box cake. I’m all about scratch baking at home but with the holidays, there is so much going on and other dishes that need more focus and attention. It’s nice to have a dessert that is easy to make and done in 45 minutes!
- It feeds a crowd!
Can You Freeze Coffee Cake
Yes, you can! Store in an airtight container such as Snapware. Place parchment paper in between the layers.
What Size Pan Is The Best For Coffee Cake
A 9 inch bundt pan is best however I have made coffee cakes in 13×9 pans as well.
Need help with dinner? Sign up to receive my newsletter and get recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Let’s Get Baking!
Pumpkin Pecan Coffee Cake
- bundt pan
- 1 box yellow cake mix I used Trader Joe's 16 oz
- 3.4 ounces instant vanilla pudding mix 4 1/2 cup serving (small box)
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 15 ounces pumpkin organic
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup pecans, salted
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- powdered sugar for garnish
- non stick spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat the bundt pan with non stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the cake and pudding mix together.
- Then add the pumpkin, oil and vanilla. Stir to combine. Add the eggs one by one, (making sure they are incorporated well before adding the next one)
- In a small bowl, combine the pecans along with the spices and add the sugars.
- Coat the bottom of the pan with a 1/3 pecan mixture. Then add half of the batter. Add another 1/3 of the pecan mixture, then add the remaining batter, finishing with the last layer of remaining pecan mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes clean.
- Let it cool completely before removing from the bundt mold. Dust with powdered sugar and enjoy!