Stone Fruit Galette
After making this delicious Stone Fruit Galette, I was telling my bestie how have I not made this a ton of times before?! She says I’m a Galette Snob now and for good reason I think!
Let me tell you a couple of reasons why you should make a galette.
- This is easier than pie! Like this isn’t a metaphor- its literally easier than making a pie!
- It’s pretty. I’ve seen galettes all over Instagram and let me tell you, I’ve never seen a bad one.
- You can get really creative with the fruit and spices.
- You can serve this with vanilla ice cream on top. I mean the Galette is a Pie’s cousin right, so…get to scooping!
- It tastes good the next day.
What are Stone Fruits?
Stone fruits are fruits with a pit and have a fleshy outer area. Such as peaches, plums, apricots and mangoes. For this galette, I’m using peaches and plums. Both beautiful stone fruits were purchased at my local farmers market and let me tell you, ooooh were they juicy!
Some Notes on the Crust
I use a homemade crust for this recipe however, you can use a store bought one. Please note, my homemade recipe creates 2 crusts(traditional top and bottom) so you can totally make 2 galettes or you can save the crust for something else.
With galettes you can be super creative on how you fill them. If you don’t like plums and you want to keep this just peaches, it will still be delicious no matter what.
Assembling the Stone Fruit Galette
This is where I find this to be easier than making pie. It’s the assembly. There is no pie pan to press the crust into or pre-baking involved. Once you get the dough onto the baking sheet, you can free form how you fold that crust over. It doesn’t have to be perfect. The simple fold over is really beautiful.
If you find yourself wanting to use less fruit so that you can have more crust, you can play around with that to your liking.
Recommended Toppings for Stone Fruit Galette
Though the Galette by itself is absolutely delicious, my number one recommended topping is definitely vanilla ice cream. Wait a few minutes after taking it out of the oven and scoop that ice cream right up! Seriously, it’s the best and you will love it too! Another great topping is whipped cream! I think I’m hungry now …
Looking for more easy dessert recipes? Check out my Cherry Empanadas with Jalapeño and Honey Chèvre and also my Gluten Free Lemon Cake with Berries .
Stone Fruit Galette
- baking sheet
Homemade Pie Crust
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla salt or fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup butter cold, cubed
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon lavender
Stone Fruit Filling
- 2 medium peaches
- 2 large plums
- 1/2 small lemon juice lemon juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ginger ground
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves ground
- 1-2 tablespoon demerara sugar for sprinkling
- 1-2 tablespoon butter melted, for brushing crust
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Starting with the crust: Sift the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the cubed butter and cut in with a pastry cutter. Combine until it resembles corn meal.
- Add the iced water little by little and continue to combine the water with flour.
- Pat together until it forms a ball. Shape into a disk. Then wrap it in plastic wrap . Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the peaches and the plums with the corn starch, sugar and spices. Let it sit in the juices while you roll out the pie dough.
- Pull out the pie crust and cut in half. (Place the 1 of the crusts back in the fridge.) Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll out the dough to about a 12 inch circle. Wrap the dough onto the rolling pin.
- Carefully place the dough in the center of the pan. Place the fruit in the center, leaving a border, about 1- 1 1/2 inches around the edges. Carefully fold the crust over the fruit.
- Brush the edges with the melted butter. Then sprinkle the demerara sugar around the edges.
- Bake until golden, about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve with Vanilla Ice Cream and Enjoy!