When I think about eating clean, I want it to be something fast yet delicious. This is why my Cumin Roasted Sweet Potatoes are perfect! This recipe is inspired by my years of Paleo and always doing an October Whole 30.
You will love this roasted sweet potato recipe because it is easy, beautifully spiced, naturally gluten free and makes a great and nutritious side dish. Who says healthy food has to be bland and boring?!
Amazon Affiliate Link Disclosure: This post contains links to products I love on Amazon. If you click through the links provided, we may receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
Ingredients needed for these Cumin Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil. Avocado oil works too but will slightly change the flavor.
- Sweet potatoes.
- Spices such garlic powder, cumin, paprika, coriander and dried basil.
- Kosher salt.
- Black pepper.
- Cilantro. Italian parsley can be used as well.
How to prepare
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Rinse, peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes.
3. Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
4. Drizzle the olive oil then add the dry seasonings. Mix and incorporate well.
5. Roast sweet potatoes for 25 minutes or until they are golden brown.
6. Remove from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
First off, I love sweet potatoes. I think they are so versatile, healthy and easy to prepare. Also you can prepare them so many different ways.
In this recipe the sweet potatoes are oven roasted. But if you love sweet potatoes like I do, here are some ideas on how to enjoy them and incorporate them more into your meal prep and planning:
- Steam them in the microwave for 6 minutes, add a little butter (or ghee) and salt and you’re good!
- As a French fry- air fry, deep fry or oven roast them.
- As a baked potato.
- Mashed potatoes- add some ghee and coconut milk to keep it dairy free. Or you can use regular butter and regular dairy milk.
- Pre work out snack- steam in the microwave then add almond butter on top. Trader Joe’s has smaller sweet potatoes that come in a bag that are the perfect size for a snack.
- Thinly sliced potato chips- Hello sweet potato nachos with meat, black beans, sour cream and a hint of fresh lime juice!
- As a dessert, yup- my my my, sweet potato pie!!!
Sweet Potato Tips and Prep
Sweet potatoes are easy to prep and store ahead of time. I like to peel at least 5-6 potatoes then cube them all up and store them into my snap ware glass containers. By doing this, it will make it easier for you when you want to cook them and are short on time.
If you have a lot of people to feed or you will go through sweet potatoes fast, I recommend Costco. They have the best prices. However you can find them year round at any grocery store.
If for some reason you can’t locate sweet potatoes, you can use this recipe on Yukons or Russet white potatoes.
What’s the difference between a Sweet Potato and a Yam?
I laugh and bring this up because one day I sent my husband to the store to get sweet potatoes and he came home with yams! Now I totally ate the yams but they are indeed different. Sweet potatoes are smooth and sweeter and are a root vegetable. Yams are rough and more starchier.
They also taste differently. There is also several other types of sweet potatoes out there.
Looking for dinner inspiration?! Don’t worry- I got you covered! Subscribe to my monthly newsletter and receive tasty and new recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Cumin Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- large roasting pan
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse, peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Add the olive oil then add the seasonings. Mix and incorporate well.
- Place the sweet potatoes in the oven and roast them for 25 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- Serve and Enjoy !
Did you make this recipe? I would love to see! Tag me on Instagram at @whensaltyandsweetunite or use hashtag #whensaltyandsweetunite