My Pumpkin Chicken is the perfect fall inspired dish! I had picked up Pumpkin Spread from Trader Joe’s awhile back. Because of the texture, I have always wanted to make roast chicken with it.
The spread is a little thicker than their pumpkin butter which makes it perfect for glazing.
Creating Pumpkin Chicken
There was a lot of trial and error while creating this recipe. The thing is that I am picky about how I was going to season the chicken. I didn’t want just salt and pepper.
Awhile back I had picked up a Paella Spice Blend from a cutesy boutique store. Little did I know that this spice is the bomb and I really love the blend! The company is called Rumi Spice. After trying it with some of my other dishes, I reached out to them. They sent me my favorite Paella Blend along with some others to try. I am looking forward to trying them all!
Paella Spice Blend
Their Paella Spice Blend is perfect for this recipe. The smokiness goes so well with the sweetness of the pumpkin spread.
What cuts of chicken should I use?
The best one for this recipe is chicken thighs. I love the juiciness of the thighs and that compliments well with the pumpkin. You can use bone in but discard the skin. Or you can use the boneless skinless thighs as well.
Chicken breasts, chicken legs and also whole chickens will work too. Though keep in mind, if cooking a whole chicken, that will take much longer than what this recipe calls for.
Pumpkin Butter Versus Pumpkin Spread
If you find yourself at Trader Joe’s staring at the jelly shelf in wonder of which to buy- definitely get both! LOL However use the spread for this chicken recipe. their pumpkin butter is amazing -but through trial and error over previous years, the spread holds better a glaze on meats. While the butter works great on muffins and breads.
What can I serve as a side dish?
You can enjoy this with a pre-made bag salad such as a kale blend or you can serve this with my Yukon Cauliflower Mash or jasmine rice.
Amazon Affiliate Disclosure: This post contains links to products I love on Amazon. If you click through the links provided, we may receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
Let’s Make Pumpkin Chicken!
Want to try more delicious recipes featuring this spice blend? Be sure to check out my Foolproof Paella.
- large sheet pan
- parchment paper or foil
- pastry brush
- 6 chicken thighs skin removed, rinsed, about a pound to a pound and a half
- 4 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1/4 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil dried
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano dried
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley dried
- 1 teaspoon paella spice blend rumi
- 1/2 teaspoon salt more as needed, kosher salt
- black pepper as needed
- 1/4 cup pumpkin spread store bought/Trader Joe's
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. If the pumpkin spread was refrigerated, set it out to bring to room temp.
- Remove skin (if any) from the chicken thighs and rinse well.
- Pat dry and place the chicken on the baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil.
- Season with a touch salt and black pepper.
- Then add the olive oil.
- Add the spices and combine well.
- Add a touch more salt if needed.
- Place the chicken in the oven for 25 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the oven when done.
- With a pastry brush, glaze the chicken with the pumpkin spread.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!