Get ready to indulge in this delicious combination of spices and succulent chicken thighs. My Juicy Oven Roasted Greek Yogurt Chicken with Lemon makes a wonderful weeknight meal! Boneless chicken thighs are coated with greek yogurt and an aromatic tandoori-inspired spice blend. All you need is a sheet pan and some simple ingredients!
Amazon Affiliate Links Disclosure: This post contains links to products I love on Amazon. If you click through the links provided, we may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Other delicious chicken dinner recipes: Oven Roasted Boneless Chicken Thighs with Pumpkin Glaze and Best Spanish Chicken Soup with Rice .
Why this recipe works
- Greek yogurt chicken is high in protein with with 17g per serving.
- There is versatility on how you serve this dish. Enjoy it in a healthy chicken salad or with your favorite veggies on top of rice.
- This is great for meal prep!
- Yogurt-marinated chicken is always mouthwatering.
- With a short cook time, dinner is ready in under 30 minutes!
- Chicken thighs. Boneless skinless chicken thighs are the best. Dark meat stays tender. You can another type of chicken such as chicken tenders or boneless skinless chicken breast. Another idea is to cut up into chicken pieces place them on metal skewers. Bone-in chicken thighs work but you will have to increase the cooking the cooking time.
- Greek yogurt. Use plain greek yogurt. Whole or 2% works.
- Lemon. Lemon juice or any citrus juice adds a nice acidity to this chicken recipe. Add the lemon zest if you want it more lemony. You can use lime juice as well.
- Kosher salt.
- Black pepper.
- Extra virgin olive oil.
- Red onion. I sliced the red onion thin and place it on raw after the chicken cooked. You can roast the red onion with the chicken if you like.
- My spice blend: Paprika, coriander, cinnamon, all spice and cumin. This is my unique tandoori blend. You can always use an already made tandoori spice mix from a grocery store.
How to make Juicy Roasted Chicken Thighs Marinated in Yogurt
1. Start with preheating the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Rinse the raw chicken if needed and pat dry with paper towel. Then add it to a large bowl.
3. Add the greek yogurt.
4. In a small bowl or container, add the spices and combine gently with a small whisk.
5. Add the spices to the chicken and the greek yogurt marinade. Combine either by hand or using a rubber spatula. Make sure the chicken is coated evenly.
6. Place the chicken in a single layer on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. You can add the leftover marinade to the top of the chicken and discard the rest . Add some salt. Drizzle the lemon juice on the chicken.
7. Roast the chicken in the oven for 20 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer reaches 165 degrees F when placed in the thickest part of the chicken.
This dish is cooked in the oven at high temperature of 450 degrees. It will give a little charred look to the ends similiar to tandoori.
You can marinate this chicken overnight or even for a couple of hours if you want, but no marinating is necessary!
For easy clean up, line your baking sheet with parchment paper.
You can cook this in the air fryer or use a grill pan or outdoor grill. Chicken needs to be an internal temperature of 165 degree F no matter how it is prepared.
For best results, do not overcrowd the sheet pan. Overcrowding will mess with the cooking time and also it will cause the food to steam and not roast.
What to serve with Chicken Thighs Marinated in Yogurt
I like to serve this with plain jasmine rice and zucchini ribbons tossed in olive oil that were baked for about 4 minutes. But the ways you can enjoy this greek yogurt marinated chicken are endless.
Keep this juicy chicken low carb and serve it on top of a salad (I think Caesar would be delicious or a greek salad) or enjoy with basmati rice. Roll it up in a large tortilla with veggies and a sauce to make a complete meal. Serve it with naan and veggies.
This is a great recipe for a high protein meal prep.
Follow this recipe for the first time and then the next time, play around with marinade ingredients by trying fresh herbs or lots of garlic.
Add a touch of spice with red pepper flakes.
Storing instructions and reheating
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave on high for about 60 seconds.
Recipe inspiration for Juicy Oven Roasted Greek Yogurt Chicken with Lemon
This has been my go-to chicken recipe for years. My greek yogurt chicken recipe is inspired by Tandoori. Tandoori is chicken that is marinated in spices and yogurt and then it is roasted in a tandoor (clay oven) . It has a smoky flavor and normally its cooked at a high temperature. I wanted to create a tender chicken recipe my family and I would enjoy. The spices and yogurt mixture really takes flavorless chicken to the next level. This is one of my most popular recipes in my house and I hope you and your family will enjoy it!
Subscribe to my monthly newsletter and receive new recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Juicy Oven Roasted Greek Yogurt Chicken with Lemon
- 1 pound chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt plain
- 1/4 lemon
- salt as needed
- black pepper as needed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil extra virgin
- 1/4 cup red onion thinly sliced, optional garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped, optional garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- For the chicken thighs, rinse and pat dry. Then add to a large bowl.
- Add the greek yogurt.
- In a small bowl or container, add the spices and combine gently with a whisk.
- Add the spices to the chicken and yogurt. Combine either by hand or using a rubber spatula. Make sure the chicken is coated evenly.
- Place the chicken in a single layer on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper. Then add some salt. Drizzle the lemon juice on the chicken.
- Roast the chicken in the oven for 20 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 degrees F.
- Garnish with cilantro and thin slices of red onion. (optional)
Please leave a rating and comment and letting us know how you like this recipe. Feedback helps our business thrive so that we can bring you high-quality recipes!
Making this recipe? I would love to see it! Tag me on Instagram @whensaltyandsweetunite or use hashtag #whensaltyandsweetunite .