If you’re looking for a completely fuss-free and nutritious tofu sweet potato recipe, then my Roasted Sheet-Pan Tofu and Sweet Potato Rice Bowl is just what you need!
This easy sheet pan dinner is perfect for meal preps and is definitely going to become one of your favorite meatless meals!
Sheet pan recipes are truly one of the best things and they are a true kitchen savior!
Whether you are a first time tofu eater or a seasoned one, you will love the natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes and the mild spiciness of the tofu.
This delicious Tofu and Sweet Potato Rice Bowl also includes fresh and vibrant broccoli adding even more nutritional benefits to this dish.
Be sure to save this to Pinterest the next time you are looking for sweet potato recipes!
Check out these other mouth watering vegetarian meals:
Ingredients need for Roasted Sheet-Pan Tofu and Sweet Potato
- Extra firm tofu, cubed
- half of large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- Red onion, sliced
- Broccoli florets
- Olive oil
- Corn starch, this will create crispy tofu
- Brown jasmine rice, or rice of your choice
- Garlic powder
- Aleppo pepper, you can substitute with cayenne pepper or other chili pepper
- Optional toppings: sesame seeds, chili flakes, chopped green onions, cilantro, etc.
Preparing the Tofu Sweet Potato recipe
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Gather the spices into a pinch bowl and whisk to combine.
Starting with the tofu, remove from the package and place the block on top of a clean kitchen towel or paper towels. The best tofu press is to cover the tofu with another kitchen paper towel, and place a flat cutting board on top. Press out the excess water. Slice the tofu into 4 sections and repeat the process with presssing out the extra liquid. Let tofu drain for at least 10 minutes.
Cube the tofu up and place on the sheet pan. Toss the tofu pieces with the cornstarch and let it sit.
Meanwhile, wash and peel the sweet potato and dice into cubes. Place the sweet potato cubes on the sheet pan.
Slice the red onion. For the broccoli, cut the florets in half so that they are somewhat uniform in size with the tofu and sweet potato. Add them to the sheet pan.
Drizzle with the olive and then add then evenly distribute the spice mixture over the top. Gently toss the tofu and veggies to combine with the oilve oil and the spices.
Roast for 20 minutes and then give it a stir. Continue to roast for another 15 minutes. Once the tofu and sweet potato are a nice golden brown and tender, remove the sheet pan from the oven. Add a pinch of salt and let it cool for a couple of minutes.
Serve this delicious Tofu and Sweet Potato Sheet Pan dish hot and with brown rice or your favorite rice.
Optional serving suggestions
Sprinkle optional toppings like chopped green onions, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes or fresh herbs for added flavor and visual appeal.
A dash of chili sesame oil over the top makes it next level. You can also add hot sauce on top.
If you want to keep this dish low carb, use cauliflower rice.
If you want to serve with any type of rice, black beans are a nice side dish or serve with tortillas.
Tofu can be made without cornstarch however cornstarch is what gives it its crispy exterior.
This dish can be served as breakfast or any meal time.
Other vegetables can be used in this sweet potato mixture such as mushrooms and bell peppers.
How to store leftovers
Store any left overs in an airtight container for 2-3 days in the fridge.
When you start to experiment with vegetarian cuisine and want to try tofu, I suggest Thai, Vietnamese and Mexican cuisine/dishes. You can experience all the ways they prepare it. Tofu can be seared/pan fried, deep fried, baked, coated and raw. Crispy is definitely one of my favorite tofu textures! I like to create tofu curries, enchiladas and tofu chicken nuggets.
Here is a piece of advice to save you from what I went through: There are different forms of it, so when a recipe says tofu, be sure to always check if it needs extra firm tofu, firm or soft tofu. This really makes a difference. Soft tofu is used for vegan desserts mainly while firm and extra firm are used for the savory dishes and hold their texture well. When I prepared my first vegetarian meal many years ago, I bought soft tofu when the recipe actually called extra firm, which meant my meal had very different results as far texture was concerned.
Inspo behind this Tofu and Sweet Potato recipe
I love having easy recipes at my disposal especially with a busy schedule. My goal was to create a filling and nutritious meal that was flavorful and versatile.
I hope that you give this recipe a try!
Need more simple and delicious dinner ideas? Subscribe to monthly newsletter and recieve recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Roasted Sheet-Pan Tofu and Sweet Potato Rice Bowl
- 14 ounces firm tofu drained, excess liquid removed, cubed
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 cup sweet potato peeled, cubed
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup red onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup brown jasmine rice cooked
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Gather the spices into a pinch bowl and whisk to combine.
- Starting with the tofu, remove from the package and place the block on top of a clean kitchen towel or paper towels. Cover with another kitchen or paper towel, and place a flat cutting board on top. Press out the excess water. Slice the tofu into 4 sections and repeat the process with presssing out the extra liquid. Let tofu drain for at least 10 minutes.
- Cube the tofu up and place on the sheet pan. Toss the tofu with the cornstarch and let sit.
- Meanwhile, wash and peel the sweet potato and dice into cubes. Place it on the sheet pan.
- Slice the red onion. For the broccoli, cut the florets in half so that they are somewhat uniform in size with the tofu and sweet potato. Add them to the sheet pan.
- Drizzle with the olive and then add then evenly distribute the spice mixture over the top. Gently toss the tofu and veggies to combine with the oilve oil and the spices.
- Roast for 20 minutes and then give it a stir. Continue to roast for another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with brown jasmine rice or your favorite rice.
Making this? I would love to see! Tag me on Instagram @whensaltyandsweetunite and #whensaltyandsweetunite