If you are a huge fan of chocolate-covered strawberries then my Gluten Free Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins are a must try!
These have a little twist- they aren’t made with fresh strawberries. This easy strawberry muffins recipe calls for strawberry jam. Which means you can enjoy these tasty muffins all year round since juicy strawberries aren’t always in season.
The best way to enjoy these is to bake a big batch and share with the family on Christmas, Valentine’s Day, Easter or any given day you are craving chocolate and strawberries.
Original Post: March 2023 | Updated Post: November 2023
Reasons to love this recipe
They make the perfect breakfast snack.
The whole family will enjoy them! They are a nice balance of chocolate and strawberry for when you are craving a sweet treat.
This flavorful strawberry chocolate muffin is also gluten free and eggless.
Amazon Affiliates Link Disclosure:
This post contains links to products I love on Amazon. If you click through the links provided, we may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Ingredients for chocolate strawberry muffins
Some of the staples of this delicious muffin batter are:
- All purpose gluten free flour- you can use regular all purpose flour or whole wheat flour if you don’t have gluten intolerances or allergies.
- Sweet rice flour.
- White sugar- substitute with brown sugar or maple syrup and for the top you can use Demerara sugar.
- Melted butter.
- Slivered almonds- this is optional but really adds to the texture of the top of the muffins.
- Milk- I use 2% but whole milk can be used.
- Strawberry preserves- you can totally be creative here and switch up the flavors like apricot jam and chocolate or raspberry jam and chocolate. You can also use chopped strawberries.
- Surprise ingredient- ricotta cheese.
If you don’t want to use ricotta cheese, sour cream, plain yogurt or greek yogurt can be used instead.
How to make
Start with preheating the oven to 400 degrees F. Line the muffin tin with cupcake liners.
Into a large bowl, spoon the flour into measuring cups and level with a knife. Then add the sugar, baking powder and the salt. Whisk together to combine.
In another medium size bowl, add the milk, butter and ricotta and stir to combine. Add to the dry ingredients and mix well. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
This is a fairly easy recipe to assemble. Once you have the flour mixture prepared, you will fill the muffin cups half way with the batter and add the strawberry jam on top. Then you add another layer of the batter. The top of each muffin gets a sprinkle of sugar on top. This creates a nice coating. So you will have your first layer of batter, then the middle of the muffin will have the strawberry jam, then the another layer of batter and then the crystalized topping.
Add a dollop(about a tablespoon) or so of the batter into muffin cup and then add about a teaspoon of the strawberry jam on top. Then top with the remaining batter. Sprinkle the sugar over the tops of the muffins and add the slivered almonds.
Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Let them cool before serving.
Store leftover strawberry chocolate muffins in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. You can reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds or eat at room temperature.
Helpful tips for strawberry chocolate muffins
For best results, use muffins cups or cupcake liners in the muffin tin. You don’t want to over bake muffins. And you always want to test with a toothpick in the middle of the muffin to check for doneness.
These Strawberry Chocolate Muffins are going to be smaller in size and on the more dense side versus traditional fluffy muffins.
Once you add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, be sure not to overmix the batter.
The recipe calls for unsweetened dark chocolate chips. This pairs well with the sweet strawberry flavor of the jam.
You can substitute with milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips.
You will not need a food processor or an electric mixer for this recipe. All you need is a whisk, a medium bowl and a large mixing bowl, wire rack for cooling, and muffin pan.
How to store these Gluten Free Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
You can store leftover muffins in a zip lock bag or in airtight container. If you want to freeze them, make sure you using a freezer-safe container. They will stay good in the freezer for up 2 months.
If you’re looking for more delicious recipes, take a look at my Fresh Strawberry Muffins
and also be sure to check out my quick breads recipes such as :
Subscribe to my newsletter for more healthy ideas and baking recipes sent straight to you inbox!
Did you make this recipe and love it? Please leave a comment and give it a 5 Star Rating! THANK YOU!
Gluten Free Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose gluten free flour *see xanthan gum note
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour * you can sub out almond flour or just use only all purpose gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 cup 2 % milk
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup strawberry preserves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place the liners in the muffin tin.
- Into a large bowl, spoon the flour into measuring cups and level with a knife. Then add the sugar, baking powder and the salt. Whisk together to combine.
- In another medium size bowl, add the milk, butter and ricotta and stir to combine. Add to the dry ingredients and mix well. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Add a dollop(about a tablespoon) or so of the batter into muffin cup and then add about a teaspoon of the strawberry jam on top. Then top with the remaining batter. Sprinkle the sugar over the tops of the muffins and add the slivered almonds.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
Making this recipe? I would love to see it! Tag me on Instagram at @whensaltyandsweetunite or use hashtag #whensaltyandsweetunite .