Ditch the ordinary burgers and try my Easy Pan Fried Turkey Basil Burgers with Feta! Perfect for your next meal prep or easy dinner ideas. It’s juicy and loaded with Mediterranean flavors!
Why you will love these Pan Fried Turkey Basil Burgers
Lean turkey burgers are an excellent source of protein.
This recipe is made on a large skillet- no outdoor grill needed!
The refreshing Mediterranean flavors are quite addicting and much different from a typical burger.
Turkey basil burgers use simple ingredients.
This turkey patty can be served as a low carb snack or as a full meal with all the fixings.
More Ground Turkey recipes:
Ingredients needed for this Turkey Burger recipe
- lean ground turkey- I recommend 93/7
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh basil
- lemon zest
- dried oregano
- black pepper
I also have a couple of secret ingredients in this one. Can you guess what they are? Ok, I will let you in on it- it’s organic corn flakes and fire roasted red peppers. Corn flakes make for a great binder and replace traditional bread crumbs. They also give a bit of sweetness to this flavor combination. Fire roasted peppers give a vibrant flavor!
How to make Turkey Basil Burgers
Start with adding the turkey meat to a large mixing bowl. Then add in the garlic, fire roasted peppers, chopped basil, spinach, egg, corn flakes, lemon zest, feta and seasonings. (gloves optional) Use hands to combine the burger mixture.
Then form into 8 turkey patties and place the burgers on a lined baking sheet.
Over medium heat, add a little olive oil to a non-stick frying pan. Place 4 patties in the pan. (don’t overcrowd the pan) Let them cook for 5-6 minutes each side. Turkey burgers must be fully cooked to the internal temperature of 165 degrees. It is best to use an instant-read thermometer.
Tips for a Good Burger
- Always use a meat thermometer to ensure the proper temperature.
- Don’t over mix the mixture
- The egg and cornflakes are a binding agent. A binding agent helps keep the patty together and it also helps with moisture.
- Start off with medium-high heat while warming the pan but be sure to lower heat once you place the burgers in the pan to avoid burning.
- Turkey basil burgers can be made in pan, cast iron skillet, indoor grill pan or on the outdoor grill. Cooking time will vary depending on which cooking method you use.
- Use 93/7 lean ground turkey. The fat from dark meat gives a nice texture and helps with moisture and flavor. Using 1% fat will result in a dryer texture.
- Adding salt in layers is recommended. Whether you are using feta or some other kind of cheese, there is always lots of salt already in the cheese.
- Warm the buns by placing them in the oven until golden brown for about 3 minutes at 350 degrees.
Substitutions and other ways to enjoy Ground Turkey Burgers
This Turkey Basil Burger recipe is very versatile on how you can enjoy it, here are some ideas:
- serve it with lemon rice
- use a traditional bun or whole wheat buns
- lettuce wrap it and serve as an appetizer
- have it as a snack, just reheat and enjoy
- enjoy on top of a fresh salad and add a little parmesan cheese
- stuff in a pita and enjoy with some tomato, cucumber and tzatziki sauce
- top it with red onion and sweet onion or add onions to the mix
- sub out feta for mozzarella cheese
- other bread or bread crumbs can be used in place of corn flakes
- dried basil works if you do not have fresh basil.
Can I substitute ground turkey with another protein?
Yes! You can use ground beef, chicken, bison or even ground lamb to make these patties.
Why I created Turkey Basil Burgers
Let me tell you how I got started on making good burgers. When I started meal prepping, it’s best to enjoy clean foods. Breakfast sausages and things like that are ok in moderation but the sodium and that they are highly processed aren’t good. I make my own breakfast patties with fresh ingredients. When I started to make Turkey Basil Burgers and other variations for my family of dinner, they really enjoyed it too!
I just can’t make plain ones though, I need my burgers to be extra!
Need dinner ideas? Subscribe to my newsletter and receive delicious recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Easy Pan Fried Turkey Basil Burgers with Feta
- Non stick pan
- sheet tray
- 1 pound lean ground turkey 93/7
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup fire roasted red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup basil fresh, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup corn flakes organic, crushed
- 1/4 cup feta crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2-1 teaspoon kosher salt as needed
- 1/2-1 teaspoon black pepper as needed
- 1 large lemon lemon zest of 1 lemon
- 8 slices american cheese optional
- 8 hawaiian buns warmed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, gently combine all the ingredients together. Form into 8 patties and place on a lined baking sheet. Add a dash of salt and pepper on the tops of each burgers.
- In a large non-stick pan on md/low heat, preheat the pan and add the olive oil.
- Add the patties and cook in 2 batches. Do not over crowd the pan. Sear for about 7-8 minutes each side. The internal temperature of the ground turkey burger should 165 degrees.
- Add the cheese slices to the top.
- Warm the buns by placing them in the oven until golden brown for about 3 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Making this? I would love to see! Tag me on Instagram @whensaltyandsweetunite and #whensaltyandsweetunite