My Simple Chicken Potato Soup with Kale is your perfect comfort food for winter time! It’s great for any night of the week and is the best soup for a chilly day. The entire family will enjoy a big pot of soup!
Plan out your grocery shopping and make this creamy chicken soup ahead of time to make dinner easy.
This heartwarming soup is a family favorite, blending tender pieces of juicy chicken thighs with hearty chunks of potatoes in a rich, flavorful broth. Homemade soup is satisfying, wholesome and nutritious.
Why this recipe works
- It’s a delicious and comforting soup that is great for meal prep or as a make ahead meal to be served the next day.
- It’s gluten free and uses minimal dairy.
- It’s versatile. You can use either boneless chicken thighs or boneless chicken breasts and add in any type of veggies you like.
Original Post Date: December 2022 | Updated Post: February 2024
Amazon Affiliate Link Disclosure:
This post contains links to products I love on Amazon. If you click through the links provided, we may receive a commission at no additional cost to you.
Ingredients for this chicken and potato soup
- Chicken broth.
- Sweet onion. White or yellow is a good alternative.
- Yukon gold potatoes. Russets can be used also.
- Shredded kale. Getting bagged shredded kale makes it easier.
- Chicken thighs. Boneless and skinless are best. Use chicken breasts if you want it to be lower in fat.
- 2% milk.
- My seasoning blend: dried basil leaves, coriander, sweet paprika, dried oregano and garlic powder. Other great add ins are a bay leaf, black pepper or cayenne for some spice.
How to Make Easy Chicken Potato Soup with Kale Recipe
1. Preheat a large dutch oven, over medium heat, add the olive oil.
2. Then add the chopped onions and let them cook for 5 minutes or until the juices start to release.
3. Add the diced chicken thighs and season with a dash of salt and pepper and give it a good stir. Let the chicken cook for 10 minutes or until no longer pink.
4. Add the chicken broth, milk, potatoes and the spices. Turn up to medium-high heat to bring to a boil then turn it back to low and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
5. Stir in the kale and continue to let it cook until you have tender potatoes and tender chicken. Total time is about 45 minutes.
6. Season with additional salt and pepper to your liking.
7. When ready, serve in a bowl and sprinkle chicken soup with fresh parsley.
Serving suggestions for this Simple Chicken and Potato Soup
The best thing about this creamy chicken potato soup recipe is that the options are endless on ways you can sub out ingredients.
If you don’t want to use chicken thighs, you can use boneless chicken breast or leftover rotisserie chicken.
Sub out the chicken stock and use vegetable broth. To have a more thick creamy soup texture, you can use heavy cream or stir in a dollop of sour cream. You can use white onion instead of sweet.
You can use russet potatoes or red potatoes in place of Yukons.
Make a cornstarch slurry if you want the soup to be little thicker or add a rou using butter and all purpose flour or whole wheat flour if you don’t need it to be gluten free.
Another idea is to use italian seasoning or fresh herbs.
To keep it lower in fat, you can use skim milk.
This easy chicken soup will be done on the stove top using a large dutch oven or a large soup pot. You can also use a slow cooker on low and cook 4-6 hours.
Storing and freezing potato and chicken soup recipe
You will want to store the leftover soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can also freeze it by storing in a freezer bag or airtight container for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight or reheat in the microwave or stove top.
Serving suggestions and alternatives
This comforting soup is great by itself but you can always add toppings according to your personal preference.
Small pieces of crispy bacon.
Shredded cheddar cheese.
Sliced green onions.
Hearty soup is the best thing to have on cold nights or to enjoy as lunch after a walk on a cold day. The whole family loves a comforting meal. While traditional chicken noodle soup is one of their favorites, it’s nice to give them something different yet still healthy. Cooking your own chicken soup recipe at home is nice because you can season the soup your way and control what you put in it.
Need help with dinner ideas? Sign up to receive my newsletter and get recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Did you make this recipe and love it? Please leave a comment and give it a 5 Star Rating! THANK YOU!
Simple Chicken and Potato Soup Recipe
- large dutch oven or large soup pot
- 1 pound chicken thighs, skinless boneless, diced
- 2 14.5 ounces chicken broth (2) 14.5 ounce cans
- 1 cup reduced fat milk 2 %
- 2 tablespoons olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 sweet onion small diced
- 3 medium yukon potatoes peeled, diced
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- kosher salt as needed
- black pepper as needed
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped-for garnish, optional
- Preheat a large dutch oven, over medium heat, add the olive oil.
- Then add the chopped onions and let them cook for 5 minutes. Add the chicken thighs and season with a dash of salt and pepper and give it a good stir. Let the chicken cook for 10 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Add the chicken broth, milk, potatoes and the spices. Turn up to medium-high heat to bring to a boil then turn it back to low and let it simmer for about 20 minutes. Then stir in the kale and continue to let it cook until you have tender potatoes and tender chicken. Total time is about 45 minutes.Season with additional salt and pepper to your liking.
- When ready, serve in a bowl and sprinkle chicken soup with fresh parsley.
Making this recipe? I would love to see it! Tag me on Instagram @whensaltyandsweetunite or use hashtag #whensaltyandsweetunite .