Beef Philly Cheesesteaks
Growing up in Seattle, I’ve been lucky enough to have had some pretty delicious Beef Philly Cheesesteaks around me. OOOOOHHHH the beef with melted cheese, spewing out of the soft bread, then dipped in ketchup. MMMMMM, the cheese pull! (ok I will stop drooling)
I’m always on a mission to enjoy my favorite foods however I haven’t seen any places with a gluten free hoagie option. At a recent trip to the mall, I ordered mine without the bread and it sat pretty on a bed of shredded lettuce. I ate it with a knife and fork and my taste buds were just as satisfied.
Lettuce Wrapped Beef Philly Cheesesteaks
Here I created my version of a healthy Philly- using free range shaved beef, less cheese, low sodium seasoning and served on romaine lettuce leaves. This dish isn’t complete without ketchup and I couldn’t just use any ketchup. I added harissa paste to it for that extra bang in your taste buds.
Please take note : most of these ingredients can be found at Trader Joe’s and Flavor God Seasonings can be found here.
Suggested Side Dishes and Substitutions
I don’t think any Philly Cheese Steak is complete without a side of fries. To keep this healthy, I made oven roasted sweet potato fries using a Japanese Sweet Potato. You can use any potato to make your own version. I use a large chef knife to cut mine but also you can use a mandoline to get the thickness just right.
Also if you don’t want to use beef, sliced chicken would be perfect! Or if you are vegetarian, swap out the meat for a some delicious veggies like sliced red bell peppers, zucchini and portobello mushrooms.
Have I convinced you yet that bread-less Philly’s are cool?
Well time to dig in!
Want to try more easy and low carb healthy recipes? Check out my Turkey Basil Burgers !
Beef Philly Cheesesteaks with Roasted Japanese Sweet Potato
- sheet pan
- large non stick pan
- parchment paper or foil
- 1 pound shaved beef
- 1 sweet onion sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce cups
- 6 tbsp Quattro Cheese
- 2 Japanese sweet potato sliced into wedges
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan pink salt optional
- 2 tbsp everything seasoning Flavor God, divided
- avocado oil spray
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees. Wash and slice the sweet potato. On a line baking sheet sheet with parchment paper, add the slices, give a quick spray of the avocado oil and bake for 20 min. Seasoning lightly with salt is optional.
- In a large non stick pan, heat oil on low. Add the bell peppers and onions. Cook the vegetables for about 5 minutes. Season with 1 tbsp of everything seasoning and add the shaved beef.
- Let the beef and vegetables cook for another 3-5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and season with remaining spice.
- Shaved beef cooks fast so when it is done to your liking, add the cheese. You can taste test and if you want to add the salt, you can at this time.
- Wash the romaine lettuces, remove any wilted leaves and separate the leaves. Blot with a paper towel if needed for the excess water.
- When the meat is done, divide it between the lettuce cups and serve with roasted sweet potatoes.