Looking for a healthy quick bread recipe using juicy blueberries? Then you must try my Lemon Blueberry Bread with Sour Cream Recipe. Not only is it tasty, this easy bread recipe is gluten free!
Also there is secret ingredient ingredient in here that makes it even more fragrant and sophisticated. Can you guess what it is?
Dried basil. It’s subtle yet delicious.
Ok, so can you imagine it now? You, a cup of coffee and a slice of this sour cream blueberry bread on a crisp sunny morning while you are lounging on your deck?
Original Post: February 2023 | Updated Post: November 2023
Why this recipe works
- This is gluten free. I use a combination of 3 gluten free flours – almond flour, gluten free all purpose flour and buckwheat flour. This kind of reminds me of next-level pound cake!
- I like to use low fat sour cream and 2% milk making this a tad bit healthier than regular quick breads. You can also use 1% low-fat milk to substitute.
- There is 8 G protein per serving size.
- This lemon-blueberry bread is made with fresh blueberries. You can also use frozen blueberries if you like.
- The recipe uses only a 1/2 cup sugar.
What do I need for this Lemon Blueberry Bread with Sour Cream Recipe
Some of the basic ingredients you will need is:
Sour cream – this is the star of the recipe and will help with creating a moist loaf.
2 % milk- you can use regular milk if you like.
Fresh lemon juice and grated lemon peel from one whole lemon.
Extra virgin olive oil- Olive oil is my personal preference for this recipe as I really love to bake with olive oil. You can sub out with vegetable oil.
Cooking spray- so this is optional if you want to spray your loaf pan for easy removal. Another option is to line your loaf pan with parchment paper or coat it with melted butter.
Dried basil- this is totally optional. I love adding dried herbs to my baking. However this recipe can be made without it and will taste great!
How to prepare Lemon Blueberry Bread with Sour Cream Recipe
In the large bowl, add the dry ingredients (except the basil) and whisk them together to combine. In the medium bowl, add the wet ingredients. Whisk egg and milk together, then you can add the olive oil, sour cream and the lemon juice and lemon zest.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry and gently whisk to combine. Add in the basil (if using) and fold in the blueberries. Then you will spoon batter into the prepared bread pan and place into the preheated oven.
Bake for about one hour. The top will be golden brown and a toothpick should come out clean when inserted in the middle.
You don’t need an electric mixer or hand mixer for this. Only a whisk, a rubber spatula and a couple of bowls, large and medium. For baking, you will want to use a standard 9x 5-inch loaf pan.
After folding in the blueberries, I like to add a bit more on top. It’s not needed but for aesthetics, it’s nice to do.
Use a large lemon plus the zest to really bring out the lemon flavor. Or you can use use lemon extract.
If using the lemon glaze, that will definitely bring out the lemony flavor even more as well. If you don’t want to use the lemon glaze, you can leave the top of the bread bare or you can dust powdered sugar on top.
You can create a crumble topping on this like from my Buckwheat Blueberry Muffins.
This would be great with lemon curd!
Plain Greek yogurt is a great substitute for sour cream and will give it good moisture as well.
If the top of bread is getting brown too soon, add some aluminum foil and cover it loosely.
Preheat your oven about an hour before before baking to ensure accurate baking time.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Why I love this Sour Cream Lemon Blueberry Bread Recipe
Biting into this mildly sweet bread reminds me of spring. Maybe it’s the refreshing lemons, or the faint taste of the basil. I’ve been on a buckwheat kick lately so it’s nice to incorporate it into my flour mixture. This recipe also makes for a healthy and easy dessert.
Need dinner inspiration? Join my email list for the newest recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Lemon Blueberry Bread with Sour Cream Recipe
- 1 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour *see note on xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 cup lite sour cream or sub with regular sour cream
- 1/3 cup milk 2 %
- 1 large lemon lemon juice and lemon zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- cooking spray
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently spoon the flours (one by one) into a measuring cup and level with a knife. Combine them all in a large bowl with all the dry ingredients except the dried basil. Whisk to combine.
- In a medium size bowl, add the sour cream along with all the other wet ingredients. Mix to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and then add the dried basil. Gently stir or whisk to combine well. Then fold in the blueberries.
- Coat the loaf pan with cooking spray and then pour batter into the pan.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool for a few minutes then remove it from the pan and place onto a wire cooling rack.
- Sift the powdered sugar into a small bowl and whisk in the lemon juice.
- Pour the lemon glaze on top of the loaf.