It is the perfect time for Easy Monster Cake Balls , mummy hotdogs and pumpkin carving for Halloween! This recipe is from adapted from Betty Crocker and is super fun to make for the kids. I like this recipe better than cake pops, only because Michael’s was out of the cake sticks. LOL
My toddler went crazy seeing these after they were prepared! He has been asking me all day when can he eat the cake balls. LOL Lucky for him, he will get to share these with his class for their Halloween party.
Flavor Variations for Monster Cake Balls
Disclaimer: I didn’t use Betty Crocker cake mix! I use Pillsbury Moist Supreme White Cake Mix. I prefer this one for box cakes because it is indeed moist. I normally use this brand when I make cake pops.
For these cake balls, I chose vanilla cake mix since the colors of the meltables are green and orange. However chocolate cake mix would be awesome as well! Another variation is strawberry cake mix with black meltables. YUMMM!
Where do I get Halloween sprinkles at?
You can find a good variety at Michael’s or your local craft store. Michael’s is great because they always have a sale of some kind and also coupons.
Is this recipe gluten free?
This is not a gluten free recipe however Betty Crocker does have gluten free cake mix available.
Let’s make Easy Monster Cake Balls!
Looking for more Halloween inspiration? Be sure to check out my Gluten Free Halloween Brownies !
Easy Monster Cake Balls
- cake pan
- large baking sheet
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 16 ounces vanilla frosting 1 tub
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 3 large eggs
- 24 ounces orange meltables
- 12 ounces green meltables
- 1/4 cup halloween sprinkles from Michael's
- 2 tablespoons spooky eyes from Michael's
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Prepare and bake the cake mix as directed on box.
- When it's done, remove from the oven and let it cool down completely.
- Then line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. With your hands, break up the cake into a large bowl. Add the frosting; mix well with a spatula. Shape into 30 balls; and then place them on the cookie sheet. Freeze for about an hour or until the cake balls are firm.
- In a microwavable bowl, microwave the orange meltables uncovered for 1 minute 30 seconds; stirring every 30 seconds.
- Remove the cake balls from the freezer. Using 2 forks, dip and roll 1 at a time in melted coating; then place on a the lined cooke sheet. Decorate immediately with the sprinkles and the spooky eyes. (so that they will stick properly to the coating)
- Repeat with the green meltables.
- When you are done coating them, place them back in the fridge and cover with plastic wrap.