Christmas M&M Cookies
Tis the season for baking Christmas M&M Cookies! These cookies are easy to make and fun for toddlers to help along!
This holiday recipe is adapted from the back of the M&M package but instead of using Christmas cookie cutters and making them thin, I use a 2 inch biscuit cutter to help form 12 chunky cookies, making them kind of cake like.
December is definitely the time to bust out all of the Christmas cookie recipes! And lately, my 4 year old has been wanting to join me in the kitchen and always says, “Mommy can I help you?” and then grabs his step stool and his whisk!
When he saw we were baking cookies with M&M’s, he was definitely on board!
Move Over Chocolate Chip Cookies, Here Come Christmas M&M Cookies
If you’re like me and love traditional chocolate chip cookies, then you will love to bake these! This cookie recipe doesn’t use chocolate chips and uses milk chocolate M&M’s instead. The perfect cookie twist!
Can Regular M&M ‘s be Used
To keep these sugar cookies festive, you will want to use the red and green color. You can find them at your local grocery store. Mine had them sectioned off in the holiday aisle along with other popular holiday treats.
Do I Need to Knead the Dough for These Christmas M&M Cookies
No, you will not knead the cookie dough however you can use a roller pin coated in flour to help spread it out.
Why I Love These Christmas M & M Cookies
- Along with all the other things life throws us, I just think Christmas cookies should be simple. I had it all planned out that I was gonna do a more fancier cookie. But life happened and this recipe was simple. I had everything in my pantry already.
- They are a classic and yet festive red and green color.
- The biscuit cutter really makes this cookie substantial and reminds me of these cookies from one my one my favorite bakeries here in Seattle, Lowrider Cookie Company.
Some Baking Tips & Observations
- These are done in 10 minutes. It’s best to let them cool and then dig in!
- You can substitute granulated sugar with brown sugar or light brown sugar.
- I tested a batch with parchment paper and one without. Both turned out good, but my preference was the batch that was on the ungreased baking sheet (and is the newer of the baking sheets). However, one of my baking sheets are old and that is the one I used the parchment paper on.
- I have a double oven and used the bottom oven but the higher rack.
- 1 10 oz bag of M&M’s will make 2 recipes (24 cookies).
Ready for More?
Check Out Other Festive Desserts Here:
Need dinner ideas? Subscribe to my newsletter and receive recipes straight to your inbox!
Christmas M&M Cookies
- hand mixer or stand mixer
- 2 inch biscuit cutter
- cooling rack
- baking sheet pan
- 5 ounces M&M's red green holiday colors
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/3 all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a large mixer, add the butter and beat for 2-3 minutes. Then add the sugar and continue to combine until fluffy. Then add the vanilla and the egg.
- In a separate bowl, add the dry ingredients.
- Whisk to combine then add slowly to the butter mixture.
- Gently fold in the M&M's. Then take the cookie dough and place on to a floured surface. Roll out into about a 1/2 inch thick.
- Using a 2 inch biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter, cut out into 12 pieces.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Let cool for a couple of minutes then transfer to a cooling rack.