Trying to add more vegetables to your meals? This tasty dish is for you! My Meatless Lasagna Soup will check all the boxes for easy, delicious and filling!
This is a vegetarian lasagna soup and it is packed with a variety of colorful veggies such as carrots, zucchini, broccoli and kale. You won’t miss the meat in this lasagna soup recipe!
You will also use olive oil, vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes and lasagna pasta noodles of your choice.
When I make this, I like to use organic durum semolina lasagne.
This can also can be made into a gluten free vegetable lasagna soup by using gluten free noodles. Or you don’t have to use lasagna noodles at all- just sub out for the pasta shape you would like to use. (or cooked rice would work too!)
Other variations for this Meatless Lasagna Soup
This soup is pretty versatile for all meal plans! If you want to make this a vegan lasagna soup, simply omit the ricotta cheese topping or use vegan ricotta.
If you don’t want to use crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce will work or you can also use fresh diced tomatoes.
You can top it with a 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella to replace the ricotta. Other great additions would be to top it with red pepper flakes. Or stir in fresh cilantro, basil or Italian parlsey or fresh garlic.
I create my own spice blend in this lasagna soup recipe but you can use Italian seasoning or create your spice blend.
You can swap out vegetables or use more of the ones you love or less of the ones you aren’t crazy about.
Lentils would be really delicious in this as well!
If you want to make this lower carb, leave out the pasta noodles all together!
This is a one pot lasagna soup
You will start by using a large dutch oven and add the oil over medium heat. Then you will add the vegetables that take longer to cook, such as the carrots and onions.
Season it with a dash of salt and pepper. (I like to add the salt in little by little and taste test the broth later before adding the noodles)
Then you will add in the other vegetables along with the spices, vegetable broth and crush tomatoes.
After a couple of minutes when the broth starts to boil, you can add in broken lasagna noodles or add them in whole.
You will cook the noodles according to the back of the package. (which will differ based on which brand you are using)
If using the milk ricotta cheese topping, you can add a tablespoon of that to the individual bowl as you serve it.
Tips For Making Vegetarian Lasagna Soup
I didn’t use tomato paste for this as I didn’t think it was needed. When cooking the noodles directly into the soup, it will thicken up.
My suggestion is if you aren’t enjoying this on the same day as you cook it, or you want to enjoy this over a few days, cook the noodles separately and add as needed.
What To Serve With Lasagna Soup
Warm crescent rolls or a vibrant green salad would be a great side dish to have with this soup.
Why I love this recipe
I love creating healthy recipes that are easy, filling and toddler friendly. This fit the bill! My toddler has gotten better about eating different foods, but I still struggle to get him to eat veggies. With this soup, he eats them right up!
Looking for easy dinner ideas? Be sure to check out these yummy recipes!
Let’s Cook together!
Sign up for my newsletter and receive new recipes sent straight to your inbox!
Meatless Lasagna Soup
- 12 ounces lasagna noodles
- 5 large carrots peeled, medium diced
- 1 large white onion chopped,medium diced
- 1 large red bell pepper medium diced
- 2 medium zucchini medium diced
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup kale shredded, handful
- 15 ounces crushed tomatoes
- 64 ounces vegetable broth 8 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika sweet
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- kosher salt as needed
- black pepper as needed
Ricotta Topping (optional)
- 6 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- kosher salt as needed
- Preheat the pot over medium-low heat. Add the olive oil and then add the carrots, bell peppers and onion. Season with salt and pepper and let it cook for 7 min until the onion start to sweat. Turn heat down to low.
- Then add the zucchini and the broccoli. Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato sauce, broth and the spices. Add additional salt if needed.
- Bring to a boil then add lasagna noodles to the broth. Turn the heat down to low to let it simmer until noodles are tender. (Use the cook time on the package, usually under 10 minutes for the noodles to be done)
- Gently stir as the noodles continue to cook. When it's done, remove from the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes. If using the ricotta topping, mix the cheese with the dried basil and add a dash of salt. (taste test if more salt is needed)
- Serve immediately when done and top with a dollop of the ricotta mixture. Enjoy!