In our house, we love a good steak and this Easy Flank Steak is definitely a family favorite! Though me and firing up the beef haven’t always had the best of times. I didn’t eat a lot of steak per se growing up. I had it a couple of times and both times I thought it was heaven. When I tried to duplicate it, I found myself staring at the shelves of the beef section not knowing what to choose, then choosing the wrong cut of beef and totally eating bricks.
Gosh, I’m trying to think if I shared my first steak recipes with anyone, if I did, I’m so sorry!!
After attending culinary school and learning of all the different cuts and such, the lightbulb went off in my head why my steak attempts failed. But perfecting the perfect steak doesn’t happen just by learning the cuts, it takes repetitiveness and playing around with flavors and heat temperatures.
Also, I cook my steaks on the stovetop, which gives you a different taste than a grill would.
One of my favorite cuts of beef is Flank.
What is Flank Steak?
Flank comes from the abdomen area of the cow. It is considered a low fat cut. The versatility and tenderness have won me over. If you have ever cooked with flank, then you know it’s not always budget friendly. However, I find Costco to have the best deals and if it is about 5-6 pounds worth of meat, then I divide it and freeze it. (don’t forget to label it with the date!)
How else can it be prepared?
Flank can be prepared on the stove top, grilled or broiled (think delicious and juicy London Broil). Flank can be marinated in different flavors and can be fully cooked or served medium rare.
My recipe calls for coconut aminos. If you don’t have coconut aminos, you can use low sodium soy sauce or regular soy sauce. You can also substitute the vegetable oil for olive oil.
Let’s make Easy Flank Steak with Marinated Cucumbers and Sweet Potato!
Looking for more great dinner ideas? Be sure to check out these other amazing recipes:
Easy Flank Steak with Marinated Cucumbers and Sweet Potato
- 1 pound flank steak cut into 4 filets
- 1/2 sweet onion sliced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 tablespoon chili sesame oil
- 1/2 cup basil chopped
- 1 bunch green onions sliced
Roasted Sweet Potato
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled, large diced or large sliced
- olive oil cooking spray or any cooking spray
- 1/2 cucumber, English thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon chili sesame oil
- Preheat oven at 400 degrees.Marinate the steaks in the oils, coconut aminos, sweet onion, garlic and basil for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, on a lined sheet pan with foil, add the cubed sweet potato and spray with olive oil spray. Place in oven and roast for 20 minutes.
- For the cucumbers, combine all the ingredients of their marinade and whisk together. Then toss the cucumbers in the marinade. Set aside.
- In a large non stick pan on medium /low heat, remove the steaks from the marinade and add to the pan.
- Sear for 5 minutes per each side. Remove steak from the heat and let it sit for another 5 minutes. Add the green onion on top.
- Dish up the cucumbers, steak, sauce drippings from the pan and sweet potatoes. Enjoy!